[Project #4] Final Project!

 Dreamscape is my favorite style/genre of installation arts, including Kohei Nawa’s arts, which I mentioned earlier. It is a figurative or abstract representation of my inner self. It can be nonsensical, and can be dreamlike. That's what attracts me to it. In our installation, the embodiment of dreamscape is particularly expressed in the regression of time. It is now 2022, but we have rewound the time by 20 years. The concept and theme of this installation is not reality. So we tried to make it as much as possible a memory of childhood in our mind/in everyone's mind. At the same time, because of Dreamscape, my memory of childhood is like a dream I once had. Or rather, when I see this installation of childhood memories, it's just like I'm dreaming a dream. 

Jamie, Hong and I worked together on this installation. We discussed what we need to bring to the Mudd Gallery, and then we spent two days completing all the installations. Jamie did most of the projector work, Hong made the video for the screening, and I mainly did the crafts, like the windmill on the wall. Hong and I decorated the balloons together, Jamie drew on the mirror, etc. 

Each item represents a part of our childhood. Swing, windmills, toys, old TV, birthday parties, music, puzzles, paintings, books, skateboards, and so on. When these words are put together, there is a picture of childhood. Rather than an installation, it is more like our "warehouse", or our "memory warehouse". Occasionally take out the things in the warehouse to remember, it is also a thing that can feel happiness. 

Although almost everything in it is a representation of our childhood, with the addition of a mirror in the corner, it has an extra layer of meaning. When I stand in front of the mirror, I see all the childhood items behind as if they only exist in memory. But when I turn around, they are still there again. This is the most important and main meaning of this installation for me.












评论

此博客中的热门博文

Andrew Norris "Queerness"

[Project #1] Installation Research Report

[Project #2] Group Project!